Engineering for a Sustainable Environment
Solid, industrial and hazardous waste generation and control, with an emphasis on sustainable engineering practices such as environmental impact assessment and performance, waste management, pollution prevention, waste minimization, cleaner production, energy recovery, recycling and reuse.
This course gains 8 ECTS / 4 CP
Lectures delivered in pdf files as follows:
- Introduction with a focus on atmospheric carbon dioxide and climate change
- Energy, environment and sustainable Development
- Environmental Impacts of Energy Sources
- Sustainable use of energy
- Environmental considerations and cost estimation of Electricity generation in a carbon-constrained world
- Air Pollution Control Technology
- Why Clean Energy
- Pollution Prevention and Waste Minimization
- Cleaner Production
- Basics of Wastewater Treatment
- Trevor M. Letcher “Future Energy Improved, Sustainable and Clean Options for Our Planet”, Elsevier, 2014, 2nd
- Ibrahim Dincer and Marc A. Rosen “Exergy energy environment and sustainable development”, Elsevier, 2007.
- Ibon Galarraga , Mikel González-Eguino and Anil Markandya “Handbook of Sustainable Energy”, Ibon Galarraga, Mikel González-Eguino and Anil Markandya, 2011.
- Hisham Khatib “Economic Evaluation of Projects in the Electricity Supply Industry”, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, London, 2014, 3rd
- Karl B. Schnelle and Charles A. Brown “Air Pollution Control Technology Handbook”, CRC Press LLC, 2002.
- Ramchandra Pode and Boucar Diouf “Solar Lighting”, Springer-Verlag London Limited, 2011.
- Abbas Ghassemi, Handbook of Pollution Control and Waste Minimization”, Marcel Dekker Inc., 2002.
- “How to Establish and Operate Cleaner Production Centers” UNEP manual
- Joanne E. Drinan “Water and Wastewater Treatment A Guide for the Non-engineering Professionals”, CRC Press LLC, 2000.